[SciPy-Dev] scipy.signal function naming

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 06:31:42 EST 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Eric Larson <larson.eric.d at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > +1 for more readable names, and putting the MATLAB-equivalent names in
the
> > docstring.
>
> I don't think it should be in the docstring because it might indicate we
> are making a plagiate of MATLAB, which in itself is an IP violation, even
> if nothing is copied. Instructions on porting from MATLAB to NumPy or
SciPy
> could go in a book, pdf or a wiki page, but not the doctring.

Noting equivalents from other popular systems is a perfectly reasonable
thing to do in a docstring. It is a great aid to finding the right function
for people who are familiar with those other systems and are trying to
migrate, more so than books, PDFs or wiki pages. It does not indicate any
kind of IP violation. We should not reduce the functionality of our
documentation because a small number of people might be mistaken about that.

--
Robert Kern