[SciPy-Dev] Introduction to Python for Science

Ian Henriksen insertinterestingnamehere at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 15:15:39 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 6:00 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there any comprehensive list of such resources? I feel like I've seen
>> several go by at different times, and surely at some point will want to
>> recommend some of them to students, but by that time I'll have list track
>> of the links, and be uncertain which resources are more appropriate for
>> which students as well.
>>

> I wouldn't say it's comprehensive, but
> http://scipy.org/topical-software.html#tutorials-and-texts contains a
> selection. David's book looks like it would be a nice addition to that
> list. PR to https://github.com/scipy/scipy.org very welcome.
>
> Ralf
>
> -n
>> On 5 Sep 2014 10:32, "Stefan Otte" <stefan.otte at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Nice work! I always recommend the "Python Scientific Lecture Notes"
>> [1] to students.
>>
>> Best,
>>  Stefan
>>

>> [1] https://scipy-lectures.github.io/
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 4:25 PM, David J Pine <djpine at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > NumPy, SciPy, MatPlotLib Users & Science teachers:
>> >
>> > I have written an introduction to scientific python that you may find
>> > useful.  You can download it from GitHub and use it freely:
>> >
>> > https://github.com/djpine/pyman
>> >
>> > I wrote this manual/book for undergraduates taking science and
>> engineering
>> > courses that use programming to solve science and engineering
>> problems.  It
>> > is not for experts.  I am sharing it with the hope that others may find
>> it
>> > useful.  It includes an introduction to very basic programming,
>> > numpy,matplotlib, & scipy, as well as instructions on how to download
>> and
>> > install Python and these three libraries.  It also includes an
>> introduction
>> > to IPython notebooks.
>> >
>> > Corrections and suggestions for improvements are welcome.
>> >
>> > David Pine

Also, for anyone interested, there is the repository
https://github.com/byuimpact/numerical_computing. It is the LaTeX source
code for the lab manuals currently used by BYU's Applied Math program. It
is certainly still a work in progress, but there is a lot of good material
there. Once it is in a more polished state, it would make a good addition
to the list at scipy.org.

-Ian Henriksen