[SciPy-Dev] PyOp: Linear Operator package

Lars Buitinck larsmans at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 06:04:45 EST 2014

> Do we really need yet another linear operator package where existing
> solutions like linop [1] or pyoperators [2] exist and work well ?
> Wouldn't it be better to contribute to either of these projects instead ?

Pointing this discussion in a slightly different direction: is there
any way that SciPy can facilitate interoperability of these various
packages?

Ryan's email follows a discussion I had with him and Daniel off-list
after announcing my plan to patch up scipy.sparse.linalg's version of
this idea. My new version includes a class hierarchy of linear
operators, but it might be wise, e.g., to install subclass hooks so
that linop/PyOp/pyoperators/whatever objects work seamlessly with
SciPy. Vice versa, the other packages can copy this hook into their
own ABCs so that everybody's linear operators work with everybody
else's libraries without everyone needing to import SciPy.