[SciPy-Dev] GSoC 2014 : Discrete Wavelets Transform

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 19:35:32 EDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 10:05 PM, Ankit Agrawal <aaaagrawal at gmail.com>wrote:

> The above posted proposal link is broken probably because of the ending
> bracket. Here<https://github.com/scipy/scipy/wiki/GSoC-2014-:-Discrete-Wavelet-Transform-proposal-draft> is
> the link in its full glory.
>
> Regards,
> Ankit Agrawal,
> Communication and Signal Processing,
> IIT Bombay.
>

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 2:05 AM, Ankit Agrawal <aaaagrawal at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>>         I apologize for not responding fast enough as I was consumed by
>> some assignment deadlines until today.
>>
>>         The draft of my proposal is ready and can be found here<https://github.com/scipy/scipy/wiki/GSoC-2014-:-Discrete-Wavelet-Transform-(draft)>.
>> Please review it. Any suggestions for changes/improvements are welcome.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> @Ralf and Stefan : Does the timeline and the chronological order of tasks
>> seem good to you?

The order of tasks looks sensible. I would expand the descriptions in some
cases a little bit.

For integration into scipy you could say what the tasks are (I expect
adding code and making it build is very quick, adding docs and a small
tutorial may be part of this task).

For 1d/2d SWT one week should be enough I think. There are Python
implementations already posted on the PyWavelets list, moving those to
C/Cython and testing them should be doable fairly quickly.

For image compression algorithm I'd expect more details on which ones
exactly. Maybe worth discussing on the scikit-image list what they'd like
to see. JPEG 2000 isn't in the Matlab toolbox you linked but may be a good
candidate. I think the patent issues with JPEG are history.

You made two more PRs in the meantime, I'd link those as well. And please
remind me if I haven't reviewed/merged your changes to the thresholding
functions before the deadline.

Cheers,
Ralf