[SciPy-Dev] GSoC 2014 : Discrete Wavelets Transform

Ankit Agrawal aaaagrawal at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 13:49:03 EDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 5:27 AM, Skipper Seabold <jsseabold at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 6:22 PM, Ankit Agrawal <aaaagrawal at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> >          I have created a page on wiki to list the possible tasks that
> can
> > go along with the project idea of integrating `pywt` library in
> scipy.signal
> > and addition of some related algorithms(denoising and compression using
> > wavelets) to scikit-image and scipy.signal. Please feel free to suggest
> or
> > add any other related task. In the coming 2-3 days, I will go through
> some
> > papers and the pywt codebase to come up with better estimates of the
> time in
> > which I can complete those tasks. By the end of coming weekend(16th), I
> hope
> > to have shortlisted the tasks and the timeline for my GSoC proposal.
> Thanks.
> >

> Hi Ankit,
>
> I wrote up a blog post on using pywt for doing wavelet regression a
> while back. There are some suggestions at the bottom for things I
> found difficult and could easily be improved like making pywt a little
> more consistently object-oriented to save some keystrokes.

Hi Skipper,

         Great blog post. What are your suggestions for some objects that
could be introduced? For instance in your blog post example, you hint of a
wavelet object that holds the coefficient arrays returned from `wavedec`,
so that it could be passed to threshold functions. If I understand your use
case correctly, won't this be a bit less generic in cases where you want
only a subset of coefficient arrays to be thresholded?

> Feel free to use any of this example code as well, if you think it
> could find a home somewhere.

The example could find a home in tutorial section. Thanks.

http://jseabold.net/blog/2012/02/23/wavelet-regression-in-python/