[SciPy-Dev] Several packages failing on sparse/csgraph/_validation.py

Deacon Sweeney dsweeney at scimentis.com
Thu Dec 11 12:09:37 EST 2014

Hello,

I'm having an unusual bug on a fresh installation of scipy on SUSE, with
Python 2.7.8. There are several packages (stats, sparse, optimize,
interpolate, etc) that all fail to import due to
sparse/csgraph/_validation.py. Here is the error message from sparse:

>>> import scipy.sparse
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File
"/itmi/Python-2.7.8_a/lib/python2.7/site-packages/scipy/sparse/__init__.py",
line 206, in <module>
    from scipy.sparse.csgraph import _validation
  File
"/itmi/Python-2.7.8_a/lib/python2.7/site-packages/scipy/sparse/csgraph/__init__.py",
line 122, in <module>
    from scipy.sparse.csgraph import _validation
  File
"/itmi/Python-2.7.8_a/lib/python2.7/site-packages/scipy/sparse/csgraph/_validation.py",
line 4, in <module>
    from scipy.sparse import csr_matrix, isspmatrix, isspmatrix_csc,
isspmatrix_csr
ImportError: cannot import name csr_matrix

We have a bit of an unusual installation arrangement here, where I have to
use the "module load" command to switch Python versions.

I can't find anything searching around, so I figured I'd reach out to the
experts here while digging in further myself. Any insights would be very
appreciated!

Thanks,

Deacon