[SciPy-Dev] Vector Strength function

Pierre Haessig pierre.haessig at crans.org
Thu Nov 21 04:59:58 EST 2013

Le 20/11/2013 23:32, Todd a écrit :
> I couldn't find a free copy of  that paper, but this one has a pdf
> available and seems to cover the basics (and it is by the same group
> so it has some of the same figures and most of the same equations).  I
> may use it in the docstring instead.  You really only need to read the
> first two pages (second and third pages of the pdf since the first
> page is just citation information).
>
> http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/chaos/21/4/10.1063/1.3670512
>
> van Hemmen, JL, Longtin, A, and Vollmayr, AN.
> Testing resonating vector strength: Auditory system, electric fish,
> and noise.
> Chaos 21, 047508 (2011); http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.3670512
Thanks for this new reference.

I've only read part of it now. It seems to me that van Hemmen's
"Resonating Vector Strength" is really close to the Fourier transform,
but specialized for "spike signals". Because the input data is the
timing of the events, it's a very sparse description (as opposed to a
dense vector with lots of "0"s and few "1"s)  which I guess leads to a
quite efficient computation (compared to a dense fft). Is that right ?

best,
Pierre