[SciPy-Dev] [SciPy-User] Linear Programming via Simplex Algorithm

alex argriffi at ncsu.edu
Sat Nov 2 19:05:45 EDT 2013

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Michael Yang <msyang at princeton.edu> wrote:
> [...]
> lp_solve is about as efficient as cvxopt (based on highly-optimized C and
> Fortran routines) and is hard to beat among most of the AMPL-based solvers.
> I've tried a bunch of them (LOQO, SNOPT, KNITRO, etc.) and lp_solve is about
> as fast as you can get, for linear programs.
>
> -Michael Yang

The LGPL lp_solve might be more appropriate for something like
sagemath (see http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/8661) which gloms
together various standalone math-related programs and makes them
interact with each other.  The scipy library is source-based -- Python
and also some C and Fortran source -- and it is strict about only
BSD-like licenses.  So not LGPL.  But perhaps the 'greater scipy' as
opposed to the 'scipy library', if there is such a distinction, might
be interested to use lp_solve.  In any case, thanks for bringing it to
my attention and I will probably use it personally in the future even
if it doesn't go into scipy.

Cheers,
Alex