[SciPy-Dev] Discussion on a new interface for multidimensional quadrature

Nathan Woods charlesnwoods at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 13:19:58 EDT 2013

I'm copying the most relevant parts over from a discussion on GitHub, having to do with a new n-dimensional integration tool. The discussion is whether or not to make nquad's new interface consistent with dbl-and tplquad, even though their precedent is arguably more confusing to users.

nquad is a recursively defined wrapper to scipy.integrate.quad that allows for n-dimensional integration with almost the entire list of arguments allowed by quad. It is therefore more general than either dbl- or tplquad, and encompasses their use cases, while allowing the user greater control over the integration. The interface is given: nquad( f(x0,x1,…xn,t0,…tm) ,[[x0_lo,x0_hi],…[xn_lo,xn_hi]],[t0,…tm],[opts0,…optsn]).
The ranges of integration are given in the same order as the arguments in the function to be integrated. This ordering is consistent with both Matlab and Octave, and it is similar to what is encountered in other SciPy packages such as fft. It is also what makes sense to new users.

dbl- and tplquad, however, reverse the order of arguments in f. From the documentation for tplquad:

Return the triple integral of func(z, y, x) from x=a..b, y=gfun(x)..hfun(x), and z=qfun(x,y)..rfun(x,y)

This is confusing, and contrary to common practice.

It is proposed that nquad's calling sequence be left as is, and that the use of dbl- and tplquad be deprecated in some future version of SciPy, and that nquad be recommended for multidimensional integration in new code. dbl- and tplquad would of course be retained, though not recommended, in order to avoid breaking existing code.

Wow, that came out all legalistic. Anyway, what do you all think about this change? I have a horse in the race (I wrote most of nquad), but I really think that maintaining the backwards style from dbl- and tplquad and enshrining it in new code is a bad idea. This is a perfect time to get away from it, if that's what we want to do.