[SciPy-Dev] stats cleanup, attempt

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 17:27:29 EDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM, nicky van foreest <vanforeest at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Slowly but surely I am making some progress with respect to
> understanding the stats library. Hence I feel can start with making
> some contributions too. As a first attempt I would like to propose
> some clean up first.  There is some code from
>
> https://github.com/scipy/scipy/blob/master/scipy/stats/distributions.py#L415

> https://github.com/scipy/scipy/blob/master/scipy/stats/distributions.py#L430
>
> This is not used in distributions.py, and if I recall from a previous
> mail from Josef it not used at all anymore. Can I remove it?

I don't see why not.

> BTW: should I post a mail about proposals like this, or just remove
> it, and send a pull request with some explanation?

Just going for the pull request is fine if it doesn't look really
controversial. Also with separate cleanup commits within a pull
request, it is also still possible to select there.

------
A comment about "dead" code:

Sometimes code is currently dead because the original author didn't
finish implementing a feature or didn't get it to work, or because it
became dead after many refactorings.
Sometimes it's best to throw it out, sometimes it's waiting for
someone to finish.

(old story) I found a lot of code in distributions that didn't work,
and I spend time fixing and finishing it, but I wouldn't have been
able to come up with the ideas and code by myself (as beginner with
numpy/scipy).

I don't think there is much like that left in scipy.stats (outside of
_support.py), so cleaning up will be good.
(But I wouldn't want any "cleanup crew" to go through my statsmodels
sandbox and delete everything that doesn't work or is not used (yet).
:)

Glad to hear you are back with scipy.stats.

Josef