[SciPy-Dev] scipy.stats documentation

nicky van foreest vanforeest at gmail.com
Mon May 7 16:53:01 EDT 2012

> Gamma was actually the use case I was thinking of. I once wrote a
> two-parameter gamma distribution only to realize (when Josef pointed
> it out) that I could've just used scale to get what I wanted for the
> second parameter... I don't know though. Just my anecdotal data
> point...

I can imagine. However, I have my doubts about including the loc and
scale in the descritpion of the gamma distribution. That will become
quite messy. So, currently, the string is a bit too terse, but the
explicit version (with loc and scale included) will not be much
better.

How about this:

"""

gamma.pdf(x, a) = (lambda*x)**(a-1) * exp(-lambda*x) / gamma(a),

where gamma(a) refers to the gamma function.  Note that ``lambda`` can
be changed by setting ``scale = 1./lambda``.

'"""

I also wonder whether an explicit ref in the documentation of each
distribution to the stats tutorial would be helpful. Something like:
For general background, see the <link to> tutorial.

I also have in mind to give the loc, scale, and shape parameters a
somewhat more prominent place in the tutorial.

However, let me first try to get some simple things done. Up to now, I
have been learning how to do things, but nothing has come out of my
hands yet.