[SciPy-Dev] Periodic Boundary Conditions and kd-trees

Jacob VanderPlas vanderplas at astro.washington.edu
Thu Mar 1 19:05:38 EST 2012

Patrick,
I think you're correct that the KD implementation in scipy would have to
be pretty extensively modified to work with periodic boundary
conditions.  The new ball tree implementation I've been working on
(which Emanuele mentioned) would be adaptable to your situation with
minimal additional code - you could even use it as-is with a periodic
metric defined in python.

The implementation needs a fair bit of work before it will be ready for
inclusion in scikit-learn, and I haven't had the time to work on it
recently, but you can take a look!  Let me know if you have any
questions on that.
   Jake