[SciPy-Dev] Adding new wrappers (dassl, daspk version 2, cvode version 2.7.0) to scipy.integrate?

Geoff Oxberry goxberry at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 20:57:01 EDT 2012

Johan,

Assimulo indeed does many of the things I've mentioned in the post. I have had trouble installing Assimulo on my machine, so I haven't had a chance to test the software myself, but it is one candidate project that I believe does a lot of things well (there is a lot of documentation, there are organizations that back the software, and there are interfaces to many ODE and DAE solvers).

It does not have a permissive (that is, BSD or MIT/X11 or similar) license, which means that other Python package developers may have trouble using it in their work. For instance, licensing issues are one reason my colleagues decided to roll-their-own DASSL wrapper.

For my work right now, that's not a problem at all, because I'm not building a library; I just want to release the source code of my case studies so that others can reproduce my results. But I think when it would be beneficial to the computational science community to have these sorts of wrappers in SciPy, because they are so useful in the types of simulations Benny mentions in his scikits.odes README (solving ODEs arising from method of lines discretizations of PDEs) and in other types of problems (combustion chemistry, control problems with fast and slow time scales). In turn, developers and researchers working in these application areas would be able to use SciPy to build applications and other software libraries, increasing SciPy's user base.

Geoff