[SciPy-Dev] SciPy.org Website Move and Redesign

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 14:35:48 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Well, I'd be interested to see what someone with some design talent could
> do. scipy.org doesn't look that good imho. And can we please lose the baby
> blue background? The days of hand-written html with plain colored
> backgrounds are over.
>
> A more interesting discussion is the content. scipy.org talks about the
> *project* scipy, while http://scipy.github.com/ is about the *ecosystem*.
> I'd prefer the front page to be about the ecosystem, and have a new page
> about the project.

And precisely having the site moved over to a system where:

- it's trivial to delegate website work to a separate team who can
collaborate with the regular github flow (branches, PRs, etc) to
manage the web content.

- form and content are separated, with templates and CSS for all formal display

makes progress on both of those fronts possible.  The ipython site
isn't about to win any web design awards, and we deliberately kept it
very minimalistic, but it shows that it's easy to make a sphinx site
that looks very different from your typical sphinx doc build.  With a
bit more work, a talented web team could make it look even more
different, while still using a toolchain (sphinx, reST and github)
that we use for other things and therefore leveraging existing skills.

Cheers,