[SciPy-Dev] mwavepy scikit

alex arsenovic aia8v at virginia.edu
Wed Jan 18 09:21:44 EST 2012

  i have been browsing the scikit-image and git docs,  trying to feel
out the community and workflow. i have a couple quesitons:

     scikits:
     i was originally reading these directions.
      http://projects.scipy.org/scikits/wiki/ScikitsForDevelopers
     then i looked over the directions linked in previous email from
gael, and i am a bit confused.  it doesnt appear that the scikit-image
and scikit-learn share a common svn repo or use the 'namespace_packages`
in its disutils setup. so i am unclear as to the meaning of a scikit, in
practice.

     git:
     currently my project is hosted at google code, using svn. i see
that git is the accepted version control system for scipy, scikit-image,
and many others. being that i am sole developer, i dont see much
advantage of using git for now, but it appears that it is being adopted,
so moving to git is the correct decision. is moving to github from
google code recommended or advantageous for scikits?

     naming:
     @gael, let me rephrase my understanding of your advice. i can
create a git repository that has a name scikit-mwavepy, and the actual
python module directory can have an arbitrary name, such as simply
mwavepy. is this correct?
     this brings up the question of naming. are there suggestions as to
changing the name mwavepy to something meaningful but also follows some
convention for scikits? as a standalone package the name `mwavepy` made
sense but as a scikit, it seems as somthing more to the point is
appropriate such as skrf, or similar.

    sphinx/numpydoc:
     i have some technical questions about documentation concerning
sphinx using the numpydoc extensions, is this a correct venue for these
or should i post to sphinx mailing lists?

thanks

alex