[SciPy-Dev] Proposal for Scikit-Signal - a SciPy toolbox for signal processing

Denis Laxalde denis.laxalde at mcgill.ca
Wed Jan 4 10:56:06 EST 2012

josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
> The splitup is also difficult because of interdependencies,
> stats is a final usage sub package and doesn't need to be in the core,
> it's not used by any other part, AFAIK
> it uses at least also integrate.
>
> optimize uses sparse is at least one other case I know.

There could then be another level of split-up, per module, to circumvent
these dependency problems. For instance the core optimize module would
not include the nonlin module (the one depending on sparse) which would
in turn be in scipy-optimize-nonlin, part of the "contrib" meta package.
Also, somebody developing a new optimization solver would name their
package scipy-optimize-$SOLVER so that it could be included in the
contrib area.

> What if stats wants to use spatial or signal?

The same would apply here. The bits from stats that want to use spatial
would stay in the contrib area until spatial moves to core.

--
Denis