[SciPy-Dev] anyone want to fix Mann-Whitney test?

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 09:49:34 EST 2012

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 9:28 AM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> From what I remember my impression is that this is only a "cosmetic" change, or better a change in what is returned.

>>> 498.0
>>

>> Ah, okay. I'm not sure if this is a desirable change then. Any idea why it was implemented like this?
>

> No, I was just fixing bugs. This was one of the early tests I worked on when I didn't have stronger opinions what the standard or more informative returns are. Since the pvalues are correct, I didn't care too much about which test statistic is reported.
>
> Looking a bit closer, I'm in favor of the change. Returning the short tail instead of the asked for tail in a one-sided test is not really "clean", and trying to rewrite this, it's not easy to figure out which is which, 210 or 498. I haven't finished yet. I like requests with a full test suite.
>
> If I remember correctly, then we return almost all the time the two-sided test, so adding the option for one-sided test will be backwards compatible, but for mannwhitneyu it might not be possible.

rewrite as a standalone function is attached

the last test was missing a self

And I initially had a test failure, because I preferred the keyword
arguments in reversed sequence and the tests use a keyword arguments
as positional argument.
Also just tried to match the tests without trying to understand every
detail again.

I think it would be better if the default is two-sided but this will
double the reported p-value compared to the current version.