[SciPy-Dev] PR #196: simplification of optimization wrappers

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 22:09:53 EDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Denis Laxalde <denis at laxalde.org> wrote:
> josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
>> What's the overhead of retall, especially fmin with a few thousand
>> iterations?
>
> The retall parameter is replaced by the field 'return_all' in the
> options dictionary which, if True, will lead to an 'allvecs' field in
> info. So there's no extra overhead as it remains optional.

good, I don't see any problem then.

>> The rest of info looks all calculated as a byproduct, so
>> there shouldn't be much extra cost, is there?
>
> No, I don't think so.

Another question:
I just saw that the options use a mutable keyword, dict.
Are we running into problems? It might be safer to set it to None
instead of an empty dict, given that an empty dict doesn't make a more
informative signature either.

(I saw a reminder on this on planet python today.
http://reinout.vanrees.org/weblog/2012/04/18/default-parameters.html )

Josef