[SciPy-Dev] Many errors/failures running scipy.test() using latest numpy and scipy

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Thu Jun 30 07:20:37 EDT 2011

On 06/21/2011 06:15 PM, Pauli Virtanen wrote:
> Tue, 21 Jun 2011 10:51:18 -0500, Benjamin Root wrote:
> [clip]
>> The first error has to do with the netcdf file (I thought that was fixed
>> by now?). Then, some of the errors are related to the gmres module (I
>> see that is already known).  Then, there are many errors for
>> "test_arpack.test_real_nonsymmetric_modes",
>> "test_arpack.test_complex_nonsymmetric_modes", and
>> "test_arpack.test_hermitian_modes". Lastly, there is a single failure
>> for "test_morestats.TestAnderson".
>>
>> I hope this is useful.
>
> All of the ARPACK failures are GMRES-related.
>
> These appear to be very strongly platform-dependent for some reason.
> I don't see them, and it is somewhat difficult to believe that the
> calculation could be this unstable because of rounding error.
>
> Can you check if your GMRES works at all, i.e., try a simple 6 x 6
> complex-valued matrix? The current test cases don't actually cover
> it properly, and at least Gfortran 4.5.2 does miscompile the GMRES
> routines in some cases. Not sure about 4.6.0 that you use, but
> compiler issues remain a possibility (esp. since it is a .0 release).
>
> Maybe using a different gfortran version makes these go away?
>
> F90=gfortran-4.4 python setup.py build
>
> 	Pauli

Hi,

I have these same failures and errors in scipy.test():
(KNOWNFAIL=12, SKIP=24, errors=49, failures=33)
Most of these are arpack related.
I tried with:
F90=g95 python setup.py build
instead of the default gfortran, but it makes no difference. I also
tried with different blas/lapack, also no difference.

downgrading gfortran is not a real option, alas. It's too much fuss to
downgrade the entire gcc suite on my system (or could I just install a
different gfortran sitting besides the default one?)

gcc/gfortran is 4.6.1, cpu is AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T

anything I could do to diagnose this further? I'd like to have a working
scipy again...

Vincent.