[SciPy-Dev] [SciPy-User] future of maxentropy module (was: sparse rmatvec and maxentropy)

Skipper Seabold jsseabold at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 10:03:02 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
> (excuse the cross-post, but this may be of interest to scipy-user and the
> scikits.learn crowd)
>

> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 10:44 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Ralf Gommers
>> <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:

>> > Probably, but wouldn't it need a lot of work before it could be moved?
>> > It
>> > has a grand total of one test, mostly non-working examples, and is
>> > obviously
>> > hardly used at all (see r6919 and r6920 for more examples of broken
>> > code).
>> >
>> > Perhaps it's worth asking the scikits.learn guys, and otherwise consider
>> > deprecating it if they're not interested?
>>
>> I haven't seen or heard anyone using it besides Skipper. There are
>> also still some features that where designed for pysparse and never
>> fully updated to scipy.sparse.
>> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/856
>>
>> I also thought deprecating and removing maxentropy will be the best
>> idea, if nobody volunteers to give it a workout.
>
> So I guess we just have to ask this out loud: is anyone using the
> scipy.maxentropy module or interested in doing so? If you are, would you be
> interested in putting some work into it, like making the examples work and
> adding some tests?
>
> The current status is that 3 out of 4 examples are broken, the module has
> only a single test, and from broken code that went unnoticed for a long time
> it is clear that there are very few users.

I just checked again, and I do have the examples working in
statsmodels with scipy before rmatvec was removed, so it's not so
dire.  It just depends on the montecarlo code, so we would have to
include this in an install if we want the examples to run.  I can make
a branch that includes this code if there's interest to keep it and
have the examples work.

> If no one steps up, I propose to deprecate the module for the 0.10 release.
> If there are any users out there that missed this email and step up then, we
> can always un-deprecate again.

I do use things from the code, ie., the scipy.maxentropy.logsumexp, so
I wouldn't want to lose that at the very least.

Skipper