[SciPy-Dev] updating numpy scipy crash - numpy on pypi

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 05:49:01 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 5:14 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 1:29 AM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I *finally* updated numpy and scipy.
>>
>> For numpy 1.5.1, I used the files on pypi. When I installed scipy
>> 0.9b1 it crashed (segfaulted) in the testsuite.
>>
>> With the superpack installer for numpy from the sourceforge download,
>> scipy 0.9b1 passes all tests
>>
>> Ran 4806 tests in 287.843s
>>
>> OK (KNOWNFAIL=12, SKIP=35)
>> <nose.result.TextTestResult run=4806 errors=0 failures=0>
>>
>> It looks like the non-superpack numpy files on pypi are not compatible
>> with scipy in my setup (win32, sse2, python 2.5.2)
>
> Hmm, they should contain only a single SSE (but not SSE2/3) instruction. Can
> you check by running
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/attachment/ticket/1170/detect_cpu_extensions_wine.py
> (only need to modify hardcoded path to scipy)?

I don't know if I can run a wine script. In either case, I have now
sse2 numpy and sse2 scipy, which both work without problems so far.

My conclusion was that sse2 scipy (from the superpack) is not binary
compatible with the single SSE numpy from pypi.

The single SSE numpy from pypi tested without failures, so it was
running fine on it's own.

(My computer is sse2 for sure, and all superpacks always installed the
sse2 version automatically.)

I went through the process twice with the numpy from pypi installer,
and it crashed both times. It's possible but very unlikely that I had
any files somewhere from a previous numpy install.

Josef