[SciPy-Dev] factorial2 does not return a float with exact=False

Vincent Davis vincent at vincentdavis.net
Mon Jun 28 21:29:40 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Warren Weckesser
<warren.weckesser at enthought.com> wrote:
> Vincent Davis wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Vincent Davis <vincent at vincentdavis.net> wrote:
>>
>>> According to the docs factorial2 should return a float or int, float
>>> in the case of exact=False, It does not.

>>> array(105.00000000000001)

>>> 105L

>>> 384L

>>> array(384.0)

>> Same with factorial

>> array(120.0)

>> array([   6.,   24.,  120.])

>> 120L
>>

> I think the problem is simply that it is an awkward API.  After looking
> at the code for factorial, a more precise description is:
>
> If `exact` is True, `n` must be an integer, and an integer is returned.
>
> If `exact` is False, `n` is array_like, and an array the same shape as
> `n` is returned.

I am finding that when editing the docs it is not always clear if the
problem is the docs or the function.
comb() has a similar issue.

I guess my question is?
My thought is the you factoral(), or comb() return an array only if 1,
exact=False and n is not an array. Basically you get back the same
dtype as input.
That said fixing the docs is just a little easier.

Vincent