[SciPy-Dev] Accuracy of single-precision FFT

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 11:49:06 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:44, Sturla Molden <sturla at molden.no> wrote:
> Den 25.06.2010 17:10, skrev Robert Kern:
>> There is an explicit exception in the GPL for system runtime libraries.
>
> Then what constitues a 'system runtime'?

C runtimes, for the most part. Things normally distributed as part of
the operating system.

> A program that uses Python and
> NumPy could consider that 'system runtime', I would think.

No, sorry. No one agrees with that interpretation.

> And if it
> does not, those that write GPL software can introduce this exception to
> their code.

But almost all of them do not. We need to allow people to not only
write their own GPLed code that use numpy but also to write programs
use GPLed libraries outside of their control.

numpy will never require GPL-incompatible code.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco