[SciPy-Dev] deprecating stats.msthttps://mail.google.com/mail/?hl=en&shva=1#drafts/1295e00c1f2240a6ats var, std, ...

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 01:16:50 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:02 AM, David Goldsmith
<d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 9:55 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There are several functions that have been deprecated and some already
>> removed from scipy.stats.stats, but the corresponding mstats functions
>> are not deprecated, e.g. mstats.var, mstats.std, mstats.samplevar, ...
>>
>> Should they all be deprecated?
>
> Josef: in case I miss it, if the answer comes back "yes," let me know so I
> add the deprecation warning to their docstrings and then mark them
> "Unimportant" in the Wiki.

many of them get the docstring from the stats.stats version
http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/source/scipy/dist/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/stats/mstats_basic.py#1840

So, maybe they should be marked as unimportant in either case.

stderr has deprecation message in the docstring but the mstats version
is not deprecated
zmap has the wrong docstring. (already mentioned before)

(Also I just saw that not all removed/deprecated stats.stats functions
have the deprecation message in the docstrings, and none uses yet the
new deprecated directive.)

Josef