[SciPy-Dev] import scipy convention in docstring Examples

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 16:03:52 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 3:43 PM, David Goldsmith
<d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Warren Weckesser
> <warren.weckesser at enthought.com> wrote:
>>
>> David Goldsmith wrote:
>> > Hi!  For the Examples in the numpy docstrings, we have the convention
>> > that we do not need to include "import numpy" (because that is done by
>> > our automated example tester) but when we're using a numpy namespace
>> > object, we need to prefix it with "np." (because that's how our
>> > automated tester is importing it).  Is there a similar convention for
>> > docstring Examples in scipy?
>> >

>> According to http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/wiki/CodingStyleGuidelines,
>> "The examples may assume that import numpy as np is executed before the
>> example code in numpy, and import scipy as sp in scipy. "  But sp does
>> not appear to be widely used; I can only find it used in
>> ndimage.geometric_transform and ndimage.map_coordinates.
>
> Thanks, Warren, I d

import scipy is not very useful, since it doesn't import the sub-packages

I think the most common use is
from scipy import signal, optimize, stats

or maybe
import scipy.ndimage as ndi

but I don't know whether there are recommendations for the convention or rules

Josef