[SciPy-Dev] ANN: SciPy 0.8.0 beta 1

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 21:20:22 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 7:15 PM, David <david at silveregg.co.jp> wrote:

> On 06/08/2010 10:10 AM, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 9:03 AM, David <david at silveregg.co.jp
> > <mailto:david at silveregg.co.jp>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 06/08/2010 01:56 AM, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> >      >
> >      >
> >      > On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Charles R Harris
> >      > <charlesr.harris at gmail.com <mailto:charlesr.harris at gmail.com>
> >     <mailto:charlesr.harris at gmail.com
> >     <mailto:charlesr.harris at gmail.com>>> wrote:
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >     On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Ralf Gommers
> >      > <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com <mailto:ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>
> >     <mailto:ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
> >     <mailto:ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>>>
> >      >     wrote:
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >         On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Neil Crighton
> >      > <neilcrighton at gmail.com <mailto:neilcrighton at gmail.com>
> >     <mailto:neilcrighton at gmail.com <mailto:neilcrighton at gmail.com>>>
> wrote:
> >      >
> >      >             Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers <at> googlemail.com
> >     <http://googlemail.com>
> >      > <http://googlemail.com>> writes:
> >      >
> >      > >  I'm pleased to announce the first beta release of SciPy
> >      > > 0.8.0.SciPy is a package of tools for science and engineering
> >      > > for Python.It includes modules for statistics, optimization,
> >      > > integration, linearalgebra, Fourier transforms, signal and
> >      > > image processing, ODE solvers, and more.This beta release
> >      >             comes
> >      > > almost one and a half year after the 0.7.0 release
> >      >             andcontains
> >      > > many new features, numerous bug-fixes, improved testcoverage,
> >      > > and better documentation.  Please note that SciPy 0.8.0b1
> >      > > requires Python 2.4 or greater and NumPy 1.4.1 or greater.
> >      >
> >      >             Thanks for getting the beta out!
> >      >
> >      >             The release notes say Numpy 1.3 or greater is needed
> >     - is this
> >      >             correct? Above you say 1.4.1 is needed.
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >         No, 1.4.1 is needed. Notes are fixed now.
> >      >
> >      >             I think "support for
> >      >             Python 3 in Scipy might not yet be included in Scipy
> >     0.8" is too
> >      >             ambiguous. Just say 0.8 will not be compatible with
> >     Python
> >      >             3, but
> >      >             we expect the next version (0.9?) to be compatible, if
> >      >             that's the
> >      >             case.
> >      >
> [...]
I've been toying with the idea that the trunk should be branched, with one
branch for the datetime and other API changes and another that is compatible
with 1.4, 1.5, etc. When the changes are ready, they can then be merged back
in. Of course, this will all be easier when the GIT transition is finished.

Chuck