[SciPy-Dev] ANN: SciPy 0.8.0 beta 1

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 7 07:55:24 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Neil Crighton <neilcrighton at gmail.com>wrote:

> Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers <at> googlemail.com> writes:
>
> >  I'm pleased to announce the first beta release of SciPy
> > 0.8.0.SciPy is a package of tools for science and engineering
> > for Python.It includes modules for statistics, optimization,
> > integration, linearalgebra, Fourier transforms, signal and
> > image processing, ODE solvers, and more.This beta release comes
> > almost one and a half year after the 0.7.0 release andcontains
> > many new features, numerous bug-fixes, improved testcoverage,
> > and better documentation.  Please note that SciPy 0.8.0b1
> > requires Python 2.4 or greater and NumPy 1.4.1 or greater.
>
> Thanks for getting the beta out!
>
> The release notes say Numpy 1.3 or greater is needed - is this
> correct? Above you say 1.4.1 is needed.

No, 1.4.1 is needed. Notes are fixed now.

> I think "support for
> Python 3 in Scipy might not yet be included in Scipy 0.8" is too
> ambiguous. Just say 0.8 will not be compatible with Python 3, but
> we expect the next version (0.9?) to be compatible, if that's the
> case.
>
> Reworded as:
"Python 3 compatibility is planned and is currently technically
feasible, since Numpy has been ported. However, since the Python 3
compatible Numpy 2.0 has not been released yet, support for Python 3
in Scipy is not yet included in Scipy 0.8.  SciPy 0.9, planned for fall
2010, will very likely include experimental support for Python 3."

Thanks for reporting,
Ralf