[SciPy-Dev] Does Matlab need to be MATLAB(TM)...

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 03:07:52 EDT 2010

Hi,

> IMHO it should be called MATLAB and not Matlab since that is what Mathworks call
> it.

>From the wikipedia style guide, I don't think we're obliged to
capitalize the way the Mathworks would like, and we can choose
whatever reads better.

> As for the TM, I tend to agree, it is pretty irrelevant, though I am not a
> lawyer. It might be better from a legal point to leave them there.

I am not a lawyer either, but it looks as though the key principle is
fair use.  Fair use means - in our case - that when we say 'matlab' -
we mean the Matlab program written by the Mathworks.   If that's
obvious from the context, I don't think we need the TM, and if it
isn't, I don't think the TM helps much (whose TM?).  I might be wrong
though,

Cheers,

Matthew