[SciPy-Dev] git on windows (was: scipy.stats)

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 15:31:54 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I thought I'd split this one off onto its own thread too because it's
> an important issue independent of scipy.stats
>
> > For me it's easier to develop and mature inside a pure python package,
> > which is also more accessible for new contributors. One of my wishful
> > target audience are contributors on Windows, which would become rather
> > difficult as part of scipy and git.
>
> I would imagine that everyone agrees that it's very important that we
> have developers like you (Josef) who are using windows as their main
> platform.  It's by far the best way to make sure we are shaking out
> bugs on windows.
>
> So, given that there seems a strong mood to switch to git, we should
> make sure that this does not cause problems for windows developers.
>
> So: Josef - and others
>
> a) are there any problems that you know of using git from the windows
> shell?

None in principle here (and from what I've garnered through the discussion,
I am supportive of the move, as long as we don't deprecate the SVN trunk too
quickly), but do we have anyone, even just one person, who is already
reasonably facile in this regard who'd be willing to support others through
the transition?

DG

> b) Do you think you would prefer to use mercurial as a client for the
> git repo : http://github.com/blog/439-hg-git-mercurial-plugin ?  In
> that case we should set up documentation for that.
> c) Do you want to stick with bzr?   That might be possible
> (https://launchpad.net/bzr-git,
> http://github.com/matthew-brett/git-bzr) but that will likely be
> considerably harder than a mercurial client.
>
> See you,
>
> Matthew

by Robert Graves)