[SciPy-Dev] Documenting distributions, advice?

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 18:14:52 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
> Tue, 06 Jul 2010 09:08:35 -0700, David Goldsmith wrote:
>> At Josef's request, I marked all the distributions unimportant - he
>> asked that they not be worked on for the time being.  Josef, would you
>> still prefer people to leave these alone for now?
>
> I think this only concerns the doc editor.
>
> The docstrings can of course be worked on, if one just edits them
> directly in the sources, and e.g., submits patches or Git branches. Here
> we just have to fall back to ye olde way of doing things at the moment.

As far as I understand, only the initial creation of the class docstring of a
distribution needs to be committed to source, once a distribution has
the docstring, then I think anyone could edit in the doc editor.

http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy.stats.distributions.maxwell_gen/

The template itself and the generic docstring can only be edited in the source.

I don't remember this part when the templating system was created: I think,
because all public methods, pdf, cdf, sf,..., are inherited, they cannot be
edited with version specific information.

Josef