[SciPy-Dev] SciPy docs: volunteers needed now!

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Sun Jul 4 00:59:17 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Ralf Gommers
> <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> we
> modules
> still
> >>
> >> What would really benefit is a solid example for different types.
> >> There are so many inconsistent styles in the numpy documentation - I
> >> know I wrote some. You can always see that when there are different
> >> definitions (when present) for input that are array-like. There should
> >> be one single definition for these common input and output that should
> >> be immutable by the writer and should automatically appear.
> >
> > That would be nice but I don't see how that's technically feasible. To
> see
> > whether the input is ndarray or array_like you just have to look at the
> > code. And you'll always end up with some minor inconsistencies with many
> > writers, but that's what the review/proof stages are for.

> might
> who

> on
> last
> ok
> >>
> >> And where is the email or notification button? The more loops to jump
> >> through the less people will jump.
> >
> > Good point.
> >>
> >> Where do you see the changes made? It should be a diff.
> >
> > Under Log you have access to all diffs for a docstring.
>
> (Using the word 'diff' was perhaps too limiting - probably more like
> track changes in word processors is more appropriate terminology.)
> Thanks for pointing that out because I had to search a few examples to
> find an example. Otherwise all you get is a 'diff to svn'.
> An example is:
>
> http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy.stats.distributions.rv_continuous/log/
>
> Yet you can not tell what was changed and why beyond a trivial comment
> (that is often not very correct). There is no link to the discussion
> so you do not know what version the discussion applies to.

At that link, you can select two versions and see the difference between
those two revisions by clicking on the "Differences" button.  This is much
like viewing the history on wikipedia.  And, if you want to see what the
docs looked like for a particular version, you can  click on the date time
for that revision on the left

I hope this helps.

Ben Root