[SciPy-dev] Difference between polynomial.trimcoef and trimseq

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 01:00:10 EST 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 8:52 PM, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com>wrote:

> Is the only difference that which is in the Notes of trimseq: "Do [sic?]
> not lose the type info if the sequence contains unknown objects"?

trimseq works on sequence types and doesn't attempt to turn them into
ndarrays, so does less work than trimcoef. trimseq is also used in as_series
where trimcoef can't be used because the latter calls as_series itself to
convert its arguments to ndarrays. I admit the distinction is not obvious at
first glance.

Chuck