[SciPy-dev] Latex and docstrings

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 01:10:22 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 7:34 PM, David Cournapeau <david at silveregg.co.jp> wrote:
> josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Before all the nice Latex disappears, can we rescue it and start a fft
>> tutorial page in scipy with the collection of all the formulas that
>> are currently in the docstrings?
>
> I never suggested to remove the latex from the doc, only from the
> docstring. I agree rendered latex is better than ASCII when put in the
> scipy.fftpack doc (or tutorial) - I did not know how to do it, that's
> why I did not remove the latex for now.

Almost none of the scipy sub packages has module level docs, for most
it's just at most a few paragraphs and then the list of routines.

The tutorials are a mixture of definitions, background material and
examples, e.g. linalg and signal contain mostly definitions and
explanations.

I created a stub tutorial page for fftpack,
http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy-docs/tutorial/fftpack.rst/
and copied the last correct latex version for dct.
I latex math doesn't render, so I changed the first two equations to
the same pattern as the equations are in the signal tutorial which
works. I also copied the first paragraph from the numpy fft module
description.,

Also I'm not sure what the section structure should be, but it's setup
for anyone to correct and add information.

Josef