[SciPy-dev] cephes on Mac OS X ppc64?

David Warde-Farley dwf at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Feb 17 16:48:02 EST 2010

On 17-Feb-10, at 3:10 PM, Robert Kern wrote:

> I think we test each architecture with the compiler(s) before adding
> them to the list. It is possible that either your gcc or your gfortran
> does not support ppc64 or we are failing to recognize that it does. Or
> we might've dropped support for it. I think David Cournapeau was the
> last person to touch the architecture selection code in
> numpy.distutils.

Hmm. Interesting. Doing some digging in the build log I encountered
stuff like this:

/usr/local/bin/gfortran -Wall -arch ppc -arch i686 -arch x86_64 -Wall -
undefined dynamic_lookup -bundle build/temp.macosx-10.5-universal-2.6/
build/src.macosx-10.5-universal-2.6/specfunmodule.o build/
temp.macosx-10.5-universal-2.6/build/src.macosx-10.5-universal-2.6/
fortranobject.o -Lbuild/temp.macosx-10.5-universal-2.6 -lsc_specfun -
lgfortran -o build/lib.macosx-10.5-universal-2.6/special/specfun.so

Looking at the .o's and .so's generated, gcc is definitely generating
ppc64-capable binaries. gfortran (it's the AT&T one to which you
usually point people) *seems* perfectly capable of generating ppc64
binaries (it doesn't complain when run with -arch ppc64).

I've upgraded to the latest gfortran from the AT&T R Tools page and
tried mucking with FFLAGS, F90FLAGS, F77FLAGS, etc. No dice.

Anyone have ideas for anything else I should try?

David