[SciPy-dev] git cloning?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 23:26:32 EDT 2009

Hi Matthew,

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 7:16 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just trying the new-fangled git mirror, and:
>
> git clone --origin svn http://projects.scipy.org/git/scipy.git scipy
>
> ->
>
> Initialized empty Git repository in /home/mb312/dev_trees/scipy/.git/
> /usr/bin/git-clone: 374: curl: not found

It looks like you have an old git version. Curl is a command line to
fetch file from http protocols (and other). I strongly advise you to
use git 1.6.0 or later.

On Linux, installing git from sources is not too difficult (IIRC, you
need to install libcurl and openssl dev packages to have a full git).
Building the doc is a PITA, but you can find manpages and html doc on
the git webpage (manpages are necessary for git help subcommand to
work).

David