[SciPy-dev] Volunteer for Scipy Project

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Oct 5 03:25:51 EDT 2009

Hi Arkapravo,

Arkapravo Bhaumik wrote:

>     Dear Sir/Ma'am
>
>     I was in e-mail contact with one of your colleagues , Travis ;  I
>     am very interested in contributing to scipy project as a
>     volunteer. I believe that I can contribute in
>
>     (1) Documentation
>     (2) Suggesting and developing newer functionality
>     (3) Study similar software as Matlab, Mathematica, Maple etc
>     trying to look for inspiration for possible improvements in scipy

Thanks for your help. As in most open source projects, the best way to
contribute is to work on something that you actually need for yourself,
be it code enhancement, bug fixes, documentation, etc...

Depending on your interests and proficiency in python vs. C vs. Fortran,
there are several things that could be worked on: the ones which need
the most work ATM are scipy.special and scipy.interpolate.

Please note also that you should be careful when 'studying' proprietary
software - reimplementing from scratch a similar functionality is OK,
re-using the implementation is almost never ok.

cheers,

David