[SciPy-dev] Matlab reader refactored, please stress test

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 13:44:37 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 9:40 AM, David Warde-Farley <dwf at cs.toronto.edu>wrote:

> On 13-Nov-09, at 3:03 AM, Matthew Brett wrote:
>
> > I've just committed a comprehensive refactoring of the matlab file
> > readers.   Much of the heavy code is now in Cython.  It's much faster
> > now,  around the same order as Matlab itself, I think.
>
> I saw the benchmarks you posted, I'm very impressed!
>
> > Because the code is almost completely rewritten, I'd be very grateful
> > if you matlab io users and developers out there could check out and
> > run the code on the files you use.
>
> I'm not a typical user of the mio stuff but I do have some mat files
> hanging around from the bad old days, I will try them out ASAP.

Same here, but I use the pre-built Windows binary of scipy, so presumably
(for now) I'll have to build SVN HEAD to use/test, yes?  I've gone ahead and
checked it out, and downloaded both MinGW, incl. g++ and other offered
enhancements, and MSVC8 Express (in order to build BLAS, which I'm lacking
according to my initial attempt to build scipy brom source).  Anyone reading
this have any recommendations/advice vis-a-vis how to proceed so as to
minimize my headaches (which I've had in the past trying to build blas and
scipy from source in Windows).  Thanks!

DG