[SciPy-dev] Porting SciPy to Py3k GSOC project

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 23:05:57 EDT 2009

2009/3/24 ross smith <rjsm at umich.edu>

> Just to summarize what I'm seeing.
>
> Porting all three (distutils, NumPy and SciPY) is going to be a too
> ambitious idea for a summer.  Likewise,  all the work necisary to get even
> NumPy to compile would make it a poor project as well.
>
> on the other hand, porting relevant parts of NumPy to Cython would take a
> more reasonable amount of work,  and would provide more room for testing and
> bug squashing during the summer as well as helping with the eventual
> porting. Another possible project is to port f2py, a smaller project that's
> all python that would be valueable to the overall porting of the code.
>
> I don't have any experience (yet) with cython so I'm a little worried about
> the learning curve associated with it. I'd tend to lean toward the porting
> of f2py as the project I'd be interested in.  Possibly with the addition of
> a design document for what specifics will need to be done to get Numpy
> completely ported.
>
> I haven't had the chance to look at f2py yet, but I'll put together a rough
> outline of a timeline for the f2py and Cython projects and post back for
> your thoughts.
>
> -Ross

If you go the f2py route it might be worth while to think about ways of
testing it. Can't say I have many ideas about how to do it myself. It could
also be interesting to just try running it with the python2.6 flag to see
what turns up.

The original author of the code was  Pearu
Peterson,<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp0RCdYtl3Y>but he is no
longer maintaining it. I don't know what his current plans are,
he has moved development elsewhere and has a real job that is taking up most
of his time.

<snip>

Chuck