[SciPy-dev] Is scipy.stci an orphan?

Christopher Hanley chanley at stsci.edu
Tue Jan 6 15:44:26 EST 2009

Jarrod Millman wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 12:04 PM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm relying more and more on the new windows help files which make
>> browsing and searching very easy. And when I see modules and functions
>> in the source that are missing in the docs, I'm getting curious why
>> they are not exposed to the public.
>>
>> As a relatively new user of scipy, I'm still trying to find my way
>> around and the representation of the modules in the docs and exposure
>> to np.lookfor is useful to find out what is available.
>>
>> So, all I would like to see is that modules and functions are properly
>> exposed, so that a "generic" user can find and make use of them.
>> (Which, of course, makes it also more likely to expose any problems
>> with the code, as I saw in stats)
>
> I think that it would be great to make sure we are fully exposing
> everything we ship.
>
> As an aside, at some point we need to review the stsci code and decide
> whether it belongs in scipy.  So far no one has had an opportunity to
> do that.  If we decide we want to keep the functionality, we will need
> to decide where it belongs.  The name 'stsci' isn't very intuitive and
> doesn't conform with the other sub-package names.
>
> Jarrod

I can definitely look into better exposing the existing code and
enabling the tests.

There had earlier been talk of an imaging module that would encompass
these packages in addition to ndimage but I don't think anything came of
that discussion.  I will await more community input before acting on any
such changes.

Chris

--
Christopher Hanley