[SciPy-dev] Scipy workflow (and not tools).

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Thu Feb 26 10:26:21 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:18:49AM -0500, josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 3:38 AM, Robin <robince at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we are not seeing enough trac tickets about missing test
> with tests included as patches.

I think one of the issues is that a lot of people don't really know what
tests are, how to write them, and how to run them. In addition, they
don't really master version control, and as someone pointed out in the
discussion they might not know of to make a patch. I few years ago, this
was the case for me.

A document on 'how to contribute to scipy' that explains the workflow
would probably help a lot. The sympy guys have done this, and I know
people on the sympy mailing list are often pointed to this document.

I think the core part of such a document could actually be common to many
projects. I with add on my TODO list to write one for Mayavi (in sphinx),
because the is the project I know best, and we can try and port it to
Scipy once it it done.

I won't get to doing this anytime soon (I am super busy currently), so if
someone wants to beat me in doing this for scipy, just go ahead!

Gaël