[SciPy-dev] Scipy workflow (and not tools).

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Tue Feb 24 18:50:01 EST 2009

Rob,

2009/2/25 Rob Clewley <rob.clewley at gmail.com>:
> I don't want to have the responsibility of "owning" anything about the
> existing code for ODE solving (and maybe some other numerical
> methods), even though I have some stake in it. But I'll happily share
> in some of the reviewing and possibly testing of changes and
> improvements to that code.

I think you raise an important point.

As an Open Source project, we could could succeed without much (any)
formal hierarchy.  Naturally, the system evolves into a kind of
meritocracy, where capability and dedication counts heavily (as it
should).

Informal ownership (I care for this code, therefore I take note of its
progress) is helpful in moderate doses.  For example, I like the fact
that Nathan reviews all patches related to sparse matrices; he knows
that part of SciPy extremely well, and his advice is valuable.  Of
course, other reviews of such a patch would be just as welcome.

The main argument I tried to put forth earlier was:

Contributing to a project is easy when you know what is expected of
you (clear guidelines), and when you know that you'll be treated on
merit alone (the same as everybody else).  Merit carries no malice,
and is about as impartial as it gets.

Looking forward to your input on ODEs! :)

Cheers
Stéfan