[SciPy-dev] Problem with weave and blitz and gcc 4.3 (SciPy 0.7.0)

Matthieu Brucher matthieu.brucher at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 04:37:54 EST 2009

I concur, this is in fact a Blitz issue (I had the same on my computer
when I compiled Blitz). The correct headers are not included.

The patch is not big, it will not impact a thing for weave (the former
gcc headers included it already, so the additional cost is zero).

Matthieu

2009/2/12 Lars Bittrich <lars.bittrich at googlemail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> on Ubuntu intrepid using gcc 4.3 I have problems using weave together with
> blitz converters. There is already an old ticket:
>
> http://www.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/739
>
> Here is a minimal example to reproduce the problem (even with SciPy 0.7.0):
>

> from scipy.weave import inline, converters
> from numpy import array
>
> a = array([1])
> code = "return_val = a(0);"
> print inline(code, ['a'], type_converters=converters.blitz)
>

> For the complete error output look at the ticket. The essential part is:
>
> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/weave/blitz/blitz/funcs.h:530:
> error: 'labs' is not a member of 'std'
> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/weave/blitz/blitz/mathfunc.h:45:
> error: 'labs' is not a member of 'std'
>
> As a workaround I should use gcc 4.2 but the also in the ticket mentioned
> patch from debian:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=10;filename=blitz%2B%2B.patch;att=1;bug=455661
>
> seems much easier to apply. It is only two includes (both #include <cstdlib>).
> The patch workes well and all tests scipy.weave.test('full') are ok. Is there
> any reason why the patch is not applied in SciPy?
>
> I have even tested the patch with Ubuntu hardy (SciPy 0.6.0) and gcc 4.2.
> There at least the number of errors and failures does not change with or
> without the patch.
>

> Best regards,
>   Lars

Information System Engineer, Ph.D.