[SciPy-dev] XXX in basics.rst

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 13:20:26 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 2:11 AM, Jarrod Millman <millman at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 11:10 PM, David Goldsmith
> <d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks, Jarrod.  IIUYC, yours is a (de facto) "vote" "for" maintaining
>> the duplication of content.
>
> It isn't so much a vote as an explanation of the situation.  If you
> prevent people from duplicating information in the new system, then we
> will never be in a position to stop using the old documentation.

I couldn't agree more.  (FTR, I didn't author the XXX comment found in
basics.rst, I was merely reporting it and seeking feedback about it,
trying to remain as neutral as I could.  I definitely agree, however,
that - despite the risk of divergence, for which, in the doc at least,
the consequences aren't as potentially problematic as divergence in
the code - duplication of such content at this stage in the game is
not to be agonized over.)

So far, you're the only one to have replied, and given the content of
that reply, it sounds like the status quo will be preserved in this
situation.

Thanks again,

DG