[SciPy-dev] how scipy reference guide is generated

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 22:47:46 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 10:04 PM, Forrest Sheng Bao
<forrest.bao at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am getting quite struggling now. I commented my Python code with reST but
> i counldn't generate expected HTML file. I expect that I can combine both my
> code and comments together in one doc and use Sphinx to only get the code
> out.
> I have a very simple file, index.py, containing only one dummy function:

I don't know what your layout is, but the index file in doc/source
should be a pure rst file not a python script. The python module files
should be accessible through the python path. For some of the numpy
specific rst directives and formatting you need the numpy sphinx
plugins, but I don't remember if section headers in doc strings belong
to that group.

The best way to get started is to look or copy some existing examples,
pick any package that uses sphinx. Alternatively, I saw recently a
package on pypi that creates your package structure including the
sphinx doc layout, but unfortunately I don't remember the name and I
didn't look at it.

Josef