[SciPy-dev] Plea for help

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 19 22:42:44 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Christopher Hanley <chanley at stsci.edu>wrote:

> This module was created to provide backward compatibility with
> numarray.  It's functionality is modeled after the numarray.strings
> module.  You can find some online documentation for that module here:
>
> http://stsdas.stsci.edu/numarray/numarray-1.5.html/node42.html
>
> I believe that this module should be kept as part of numpy.  There are
> going to be projects that ported their code from numarray to numpy
> that depend on this module.

That's a valid reason for keeping it. On the other hand, it gets very little
use, is pretty much undocumented and probably more buggy than most other
parts of NumPy. There is also not a really good use-case for it (otherwise
new users would ask about it). And as Stefan pointed out when asking this
same question last year, object arrays would do nicely if one needs this
functionality.

Would it make sense to put clearly in the docs that this module exists for
backwards compatibility reasons, and is not recommended for new development?

Ralf