[SciPy-dev] P3 - my education [was: change print statements to print functions in docstrings]

David Goldsmith d_l_goldsmith at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 15 14:18:46 EDT 2009

--- On Sat, 8/15/09, Ryan May <rmay31 at gmail.com> wrote:

> As a curious "innocent bystander" that only goes
> along with earth shattering software change "kicking
> and screaming" ;-) why did the Python 3 PTB decide to
> change such a fundamental construct?
>

> One reason is that by making it a function, it's easy
> to replace it with a different, custom function.  It also

But isn't that the purpose an object's __str__ method being bound to print by default?  Unless, I guess, you want to usurp print globally; but then can't you still just assign your replacement to print in the top level namespace and be done w/it?  Personally, if I were among the PTB, I'd need more...

> (IMO) seems a bit more pythonic.

Um, why?  Perhaps it stems from one's personal preference regarding the way one prefers to program?  Having "grown-up" a procedural programmer, I'm now an OO "true believer," though I feel that one of Python's greatest strengths is that it fully supports "going both ways"; because of that, I feel neither function nor method has the edge in being more Pythonic.  (I wonder, however, what the dominant mode is in practice - certainly OO in GUI/Event Driven programming, no?)

> Remeber, the pain of
> breakage was kind of the point of 3.0. :)

Please explain.

DG

PS: In recognition that this branch of this thread is OT, everyone please feel free to email me your thoughts off-list.