[SciPy-dev] SciPy Foundation

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Mon Aug 3 17:36:49 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 03:32:31PM -0600, Ondrej Certik wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Gael
> Varoquaux<gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
> [...]
> > For a web environment, the Sage notebook is amazing. Unfortunately last
> > time I looked, it was GPL licensed, which renders it improper for my use,
> > as the tools we use at the lab must be BSD, in order to be able to build
> > (eventually) medical imaging products from them one day.

> Actually, in this thread:

> http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/65ca1e0489a0a980/

> most (if not all) contributors to the Sage notebook agreed to release
> their code as BSD.

> The same about William being positive to license the build system as
> BSD too. So we can get lots of done by working on these things
> together with Sage.

I can see that a lot of good things are coming out of Sage (the current
Cython development frenzy was clearly helped by the needs of Sage). It is
really nice to see our community (I am talking in the sens of a
scientific Python community, agnostic of tools and distribution) growing.

Cheers to these guys, that notebook is really amazing!

Gaël