[SciPy-dev] weave.inline broken by setuptools?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 00:03:15 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 22:59, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> for a scipy workshop I'm going to teach in a few weeks I made a little
> checklist in  the form of a nose test suite:
>
> https://cirl.berkeley.edu/fperez/py4science/workshop_checklist.py
>
> I've started getting reports of failures from students using EPD, and
> I was finally able to reproduce the problem.  Since I've been known to
> launch into unjustified setuptools rants before, I'd like some
> guidance from those wiser than me...

> Note that I found a workaround: importing setuptools *before* weave
> makes the problem go away, so for now I have a solution for my
> students.  But I think it would be good to know if this is a weave or
> a setuptools problem.  It took a while to understand what was going
> on, and fixing it might save others some time...

It's not a workaround; it's just the correct thing to do. You must
always import setuptools before you import numpy.distutils.
numpy.distutils knows about setuptools, but setuptools doesn't know
about numpy.distutils, so the only way that the two get merged
correctly is by importing setuptools first so numpy.distutils knows to
merge the two.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."