[SciPy-dev] a modest proposal for technology previews

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 4 03:34:20 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 8:58 PM, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> There are basically two key differences between scikits and scipy for
> new code:
>    - in scipy, it is always built, thus the author package does not
> have to deal with release process
>    - if in scipy, for the reason above, it can be easily distributable.
> You can just say: get scipy, and you will be guaranteed to get this code.

The major difference I see is that one is a scikit and the other is
part of scipy.  In my mind, for something to be part of scipy means
that it should fit into the package in a consistent way.  If I was
developing a scikit, I don't think I would necessarily write it the
same way as if I was trying to make it part of scipy.  Also users
expect some consistency and uniformity when using scipy, but may be
more tolerant for code that is part of a scikit.  We currently don't
have a way to indicate that a specific scikit is about to be included
into scipy.

By putting in scipy.preview the idea would be that the scipy
developers have agreed that this code is intended for inclusion in a
future scipy release.  And that they are interested in user feedback
and testing before finalizing the API.

> I don't think the solution is to get the code in scipy either. The
> solution is to solve the problems above for scikits: ideally, there
> would be an automated process to regularly build tarballs/releases, and
> something to get the code. That would remove most needs for inclusion in
> scipy, no ? Of course, it is easier said than done. Eggs + pypi could
> help for that, maybe.

While I don't think this is directly answering the problems that I was
hoping to address
with scipy.preview, I think it would be great.  Frankly, I would even
be happy at this point
if we could get regular (much less automated and regular)
builds/releases of scipy out
before focusing on the scikits.

--
Jarrod Millman