[SciPy-dev] Renaming fftpack to fft, removing backends

Tom Grydeland tom.grydeland at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 07:12:38 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 4:50 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't see how it follows that taking my "middle ground" stance means
> that people won't discuss possibly-code-breaking changes they are
> making. It seems to me that it would encourage more discussion because
> the tradeoffs need to be justified and agreed upon.

As someone who is primarily a user, not a developer, of scipy (and
numpy), I try to keep an eye on what happens on the scipy-dev mailing
list, and I am quite prepared to deal with breakage for the time
being.

Perhaps it would be possible upon a new release to include a
README-style file with a list of backward-incompatible  changes that
have been made since the previous release?  It would list the
interfaces that have disappeared (possibly with suggested
replacements), those that have been moved or renamed, and those that
have become deprecated (again with suggested replacements).

Just a suggestion.

--
Tom Grydeland
  <Tom.Grydeland@(gmail.com)>